It's time to give your school a report card.
No matter how long ago you went to school, you never forget your school experience. Whether you had a terrible time, wouldn't have finished school if you didn't have that one supportive teacher who listened, or really enjoyed your school days, letting your school know what they did well or could do better is very important for the current and future generations of same sex attracted and gender questioning young people.
The Write to Your School campaign is a partnership between Rainbow Network, the Victorian Gay and Lesbian Rights Lobby and Parents, Family & Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG) Victoria.
In-kind support and endorsement has also been received from the ALSO Foundation, Transgender Victoria and Gay & Lesbian Health Victoria.
We encourage you to write to your old school (or friends/family members' school) to:
- Inform them about their record on addressing homophobia and transphobia
- Tell them about your personal experience of school life
- Challenge them to change their school curriculum, policy and culture to create more positive experiences for same sex attracted, transgender and questioning young people as well as young peoples with GLBTI family members.
- Reflect on the inclusive nature of school curriculum - for everyone.
- Inform the schools about research, professional development, curriculum materials, books for the library and other resources
- Congratulate the school for being safe and inclusive and to share their policies and procedures with other schools and DE&T.
Download a list of resources including how to find and who to contact for research, books for libraries, rainbow stickers for doors, support for parents and family members, information for teachers, Equal Opportunity Act information and the Top Ten List of things your school can do by visiting: www.rainbownetwork.net.au